Elm Lawn's Nichelle Galvan has been named a Bilingual/Bicultural Educator of the Year by the Wisconsin Association for Bilingual Education.
Galvan, an English as a Second Language and Bilingual Resource teacher at Elm Lawn, will be recognized at the WIABE conference in May.
Nichelle joined the District in August 2011. Before that, she was a third-grade bilingual teacher at Sugar Creek Elementary in the Verona Area School District. She did her student teaching at Sauk Trail along with Glendale Elementary in the Madison Metropolitan School District.
She has an elementary education degree from Edgewood College.
She is the Elementary Bilingual Teacher at EL and she has only been there.
Bilingual/Bicultural Educators of the Year must meet the following criteria:
- Must have served ELLs for five years.
- Must hold a valid license from the Department of Public Instruction.
- Must demonstrate exemplary skills in working with students.
- Has continually evidenced self-motivation in seeking and engaging in professional growth activities related to ELLs.
- Has continually made teaching and learning a priority for all children.
"Please join me in congratulating Nichelle on this special achievement,'' Director of Bilingual Services Mandi Sersch said.